Opportunities don’t come knocking at your doorstep for the fun of it. When they come, you had better answer. As Elizabeth Gilbert says on Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, you don’t want word going around the Universe that you are difficult to work with.
With that in mind: Those of you who seriously want to pursue a successful career in the worlds of film and television production now have another chance of training with the best in the biz! It’s the sort of thing that doesn’t come around often, so you might wanna pay attention and jump on this one.
If you have goals to produce movie for broadcast on one of M-Net’s channels, learn with the most distinguished players in the industry, and also happen to be completing a year Degree or Diploma in film and Television studies in 2017 (or achieved this Qualification in 2016), you may just get the opportunity to make magic.
M-Net’s Corporate Social Investment initiative Magic in Motion is searching for its Academy Class of 2018 and entries are now open. Visit www.mnetcorporate.co.za, before 31 January 2018 and if you meet the entry criteria, simply fill out an online application form.
You could be selected to participate in a paid, year-long work readiness programme that aims to equip 16 young graduates with the skills they need to enter the industry. Many of the previous graduates of the Academy are now working in the industry.
Speaking on the initiative, M-Net CEO Yolisa Phahle says, “When M-Net began the Magic in Motion Academy in 2015, our aim was to build a sustainable and consistent talent pipeline that empowered hard-working professionals with the skills they need to transform the video entertainment sector. Four years on, we’re delighted to be calling for entries once again.”
Together with generous production companies who provide the interns with training placements and aided by tertiary institutions who motivate their brightest to enter the Academy, M-Net is committed to building on the accomplishments of previous interns.
Phahle is confident that this powerful partnership remains at the heart of the Magic in Motion Academy. “These institutions and companies are invaluable in enabling the Academy to reach its full potential.” With previous interns having created 8 films for broadcast on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161), the Academy alumni has had some industry recognition.
Mbali Zulu ( Class of 2015) received a notable SAFTA nomination for being part of the writing team on the popular soap Isibaya. Kabelo Ramputa (Class of 2015) has won the Best Intern DoP at the 2017 Visible Spectrum Awards for their 2016 MiM movie – The Forgotten.
Led by M-Net Magic in Motion Academy Director, respected TV veteran Bobby Heaney, the Class of 2018 will learn more about scripting, producing, directing, editing, production commissioning, concept innovation, sound, post-production, etc. Further, Academy Master Classes led by the country’s top TV executives will also expose the interns to the trends and technologies shaping the global entertainment landscape.
Ultimately the Academy strives to deliver highly employable individuals who understand a variety of genres, ranging from drama and comedy to live shows and reality formats. “The beauty of the Magic in Motion journey is that our interns learn that this is an industry that will reward hard work and they can effectively work their way up with an M-Net Original productions calling card,” says Heaney.
- Must have completed (in 2016) or are completing (in 2017), a 3-year diploma/degree in a film, TV or a related field.
- Must have obtained or obtain a minimum C-aggregate pass.
- All applicant information will be subject to credit, criminal and verification checks.
- M-Net’s selection decision for the Magic in Motion Academy Class of 2018 is final.
- M-Net shall not be responsible for any electronic failure that results in an entry not being received for consideration.
- M-Net is not liable for the costs any applicant incurs during the process of their entry (example: airtime usage or payment at Wi-Fi café).
- Applicants must ensure that all information included in their entry is valid and true.
- M-Net has the right to expand, limit, downscale and/or terminate the Magic in Motion Academy at its sole discretion.
- Entry is limited to those who meet the stated entry criteria.
- 2017 Magic in Motion Academy interns are prohibited from being selected again.
- There is no guarantee of employment at the end of the internship.
- Internships are only available in Gauteng, South Africa and to South African citizens.
- M-Net reserves the right to terminate any internship at any time.