26 October 2014: Senzo Meyiwa Shot Dead
The country plunges into shock as SAPS release an official statement confirming the death of then Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa. The police reported that Meyiwa was shot and killed at around 20:00 in the presence of girlfriend, pop singer Kelly Khumalo at her home in Vosloorus. The fatal shoot out happened after an altercation. The three killers were said to have fled the scene on foot soon after shooting him. He was confirmed dead on arrival at the Johannesburg hospital.
27 October 2014: South Africa Reacts
The country reacted in shock to the news as condolences were trickling in. The mystery around who killed the captain only intensified the anger as concerns around crime in South Africa were once again on the forefront. The CAF President, Issa Hayatou expressed shock at the death. “It is with shock and dismay that CAF has learnt about the passing away of South Africa and Orlando Pirates captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa. Losing such a talented player and young gentlemen is a tragedy for South African and African football”, he said at the time.
On this day, police commissioner Riah Phiyega confirms a reward of R250 000 to anyone who had information. He also reveals scant details about the descriptions of the two killers and their alleged physical appearance.
“We’re going to miss Senzo a lot,” – National team coach Shakes Mashaba.
In the wake of the news, PSL chairman Brand De Villiers announced that the looming Soweto Derby would be postponed to a later date.
Kelly Khumalo, who had been present at the scene, comes under pressure to bring answers.
This photo was said to have been posted by the singer just hours prior to the shooting on her Instagram page.
Senzo Meyiwa’s father is reported to have broken down in tears merely moments after arriving at the scene.
The SAPS urge those with information to come forward with it
28 October 2014
The Meyiwa family announce two memorial service to be held in honour of the Bafana Bafana captain. The service are to take place on the 30th and 31st of that month respectively – one at the Durban City Hall and the other at the Moses Mabida Stadium.
29 October 2014,
On this day, two suspects are taken into police custody in connection with the murder. The two men had questioned and arrested in Kwa Nongoma, Kwa Zulu Natal. The police reveal that the identikitis of the suspects had led to the arrests.
30 October 2014, Senzo Meyiwa’s funeral
Senzo Meyiwa was laid to rest at the Chesterville Heroes Acre.
31 October 2014, The Arrest
The first suspect on the murder case, Zanokuhle Mbatha, appeared in court over the killing. However, the charged were dropped later due to lack of evidence.
Senzo’s Dad Pic Goes Viral
A photo taken from the funeral became a social media sensation with many people replicating the pose from inside their cars. The viral adaptations were slammed for being grossly insensitive and disrespectful.
Reports emerge that the late star had lied about his real age through out his entire professional sporting career. While it had been believed that he was 27 at the time of his death, reports revealed that his tombstone and the school register indicated that he he was born on the 24th of January in 1984, making him 30.
January, 2015: Have The Cops Bungled The Case?
Despite being very confident in the beginning, lack of progress in the case became concern at the beginning of this year. The Sunday Times reported that a the clumsy investigations had resorted to ‘guesswork’.
March 21, 2015: ‘We Know Who Killed Him’
Senzo’s parents tell Drum Magazine in an exclusive interview that they have a pretty good idea on who murdered their son in Vosloorus. Although Samuel and Ntombifuthi Meyiwa refused to mention names in fear of being arrested, they revealed that they had information that differs significantly from the claims made by Kelly Khumalo on what happened that evening. From what they know as told by an eye witness, an altercation had erupted between Senzo and Kelly, and then Senzo was shot “by mistake”.
23 June 2015: Insurance Payout Delays
The Meyiwa family told the press that they were struggling to take care of Senzo’s children as his life insurance pay out was being delayed.
26 June 2015: Samuel Meyiwa Slammed By Police
The open book policy does not bode down well the police, who expressed concerns with the Samuel Meyiwa talking openly to the media about the progress of the case. the National spokeperson Solomon Makgale said a suspect had even gone underground following tip offs from one of the interviews given out by Senzo’s father. He was criticised for compromising the case.
23 July 2015: “Overwhelming Evidence”
Gauteng police were confident that they possessed “overwhelming evidence” in the murder case.