Connect with us

Health

Simphiwe Dana Opens Up About Clinical Depression & ‘Relationtricks’

Published

on

She may continue slaying with a commercially excellent afro jazz music career, but singer Simphiwe Dana has come forward to speak publicly about an aspect of her life she has kept away from fans and the media. She has been silently suffering from depression. Her revelation first began a couple of weeks ago when the songbird urged fans to chat about their heartbreak on social media, using the hashtag #Killjoy. Kill Joy is the third single from her latest album. Much of her troubles are rooted in her personal romantic life.

Simphiwe Dana live at the Rathausplatz Vienna

Apparently things ended on a really bad note with her ex, leading her to a downward spiral. There was a baby mama situation involved in what she now terms a ‘relationtrick’. She reveals in a recent interview with Drum Magazine that she used music as a an escape away from her problems. The song “My Light”, she says is about how her son helped her to remember the light whenever she was on the metaphoric legde.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diet

How I Gained 13 Kilos, How I Plan To Lose it in Three Months

A short story of how I gained 13 kilos in one year after quitting cigarettes, and the plan to torch it all in three months.

Published

on

I’ve gained an average of 13 kilos since I quit smoking a little over a year ago.

And please, I have no intentions of scaring anyone from dropping tobacco. The benefits of quitting sugar and cigarettes far outweigh the little inconveniences you are bound to encounter, even though 13 kilos is anything but ‘little’.

This is me about a year ago, on my way to the body I’ve always wanted.

Quite the opposite. Not only have I gone up two sizes, I’ve stayed there for the longest time. Lovely belly fat has replaced my formerly impressive set of (almost) shredded abs, and it all fluctuates from meal to meal. I haven’t quite reached the love handle stage, but we are a few chocolates and gwinyas away from that too.

WHAT HAPPENED

I had my last cigarette on April 23rd, 2018.

To cut a long story short, it was harder than I hoped, but better than I feared. There were some pretty serious withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes I felt sick. Sometimes a little bit cranky. Or straight up mad.

But! After eight years of the habit, it was actually easier than the horrors I had anticipated with much dread. Some people reported insomnia in the early days.

RELATED: THE SKIN BENEFITS OT CUTTING SUGAR OFF YOUR TEA

I actually found that sleeping got easier as my chest cleared up.

Just a few days after quitting, everything basically improved. Your sense of smell clears up so impressively you can sniff chocolate through walls. So do your taste buds. The food smells and taste sooo good a few days in. Not to mention, you compensate by eating more to wean off the cravings at first, which doesn’t help matters.

RELATED: LOSING 5 KG IN ONE WEEK WITH THE CABBAGE SOUP DIET

While it isn’t inevitable, weight gain after one quits smoking is expected. Not only are cigarettes appetite suppressants, they can also increase your metabolism. Everything returns to normal after quitting, which means you eat more while burning fewer calories.

See? Almost all roads lead to weight gain after quitting.

RELATED: AVOID THESE 5 FOODS TO ACHIEVE DEFINED ABS

Fortunately, TIME Magazine reports that I’m likely to start shedding some of it off automatically a year later. While that’s exciting, however, I have a plan of mine to start torching the extra kilos. My goal is not only to return to my normal, healthy weight, but to achieve my ultimate body goals!

HOW I PLAN TO LOSE 13 KG IN THREE MONTHS

Losing weight has never been a problem before, but that’s because of the smoking habit, which influenced a chain of other habits that kept me on the lean side for the most part.

To be honest, I totally under estimated how challenging it would be to shed the gain on this side of life. That said, a year in, I’m absolutely excited to start with the journey towards the body of my dreams, which will start on the first of June!

In my next article on this subject, I intend to detail on exactly how I plan to do this. A lot of the tricks I’ve used before, and the results were incredible. I will, however, be introducing a new plan designed not only to help me lose weight, but to do so in the most sustainable way.

Keep an eye on QuenchSA.com!

Continue Reading

Diet

Giving Up Sugar In Your Tea: The Skin Benefits To Expect

There’s no sugarcoating it, the white stuff is bad for you. That’s the tea. Quit and here’s everything your skin will be thanking you for.

Published

on

The idea of tea with no sugar had always been incredibly weird to me, as much as it is for many.

The reality turned out to be even less appealing, of course, the first morning I attempted ditching refined sugar in all my hot beverages. Switching to a teaspoon of honey and some lemon was especially awful at first.

Having plunged from 5 teaspoons of sugar (I know, right!?) on 10 cups of tea a day to that, the whole mildly sweet and sour taste threw me off. Then there were green teas. Ja, no.

‘Sugar ages your skin “faster than a lifetime of lying in the sun”‘

Like millions of people, I loved nothing more than kicking off my mornings with a creamy cup of super sweet tea. The five teaspoons did the trick, a cigarette and some Wendy Williams ‘Hot Topics’ segment on YouTube to kick off my day with that punch of good shade.

But, to summarise a plot twist that led to a series of positive lifestyle changes; I quit cigarettes, cold turkey.

SUGAR CRAVINGS

Two things happened after I quit smoking; my taste buds cleared and everything tasted so much better, and I developed a superhuman smell that helped me to sniff sugar through walls, basically. Although I knew better than giving in to the primordial urges, I also knew better than messing with the most sensitive days of my cigarette detox.

MORE: AVOID THESE 5 FOODS TO ACHIEVE DEFINED ABS

For a while, I gave in and started bingeing as I needed a lot of activity around my mouth to wean me off from the threat of a relapse. Less than a month in, I had gained over 5 kilos, my skin had broken out and I was bloated.

As much as I hated those first sugar-free days, I can only thank myself now for sticking it out! The health benefits start as soon as you stop. Here’s why your skin will thank you

BETTER SKIN

Slow Down Aging

Excluding refined sugar from your hot beverages, cereals, snacks and meals can slow down the ageing process quite significantly.

Many people who give up sugar report an improvement on the texture and tone of their skin, typically with diminished blemishes. I started noticing a glow to my skin just days after ditching the white stuff, and many people would follow with the positive feedback around two weeks later.

RELATED: 5 THINGS TO EXPECT WHEN YOU GO VEGAN

The benefits of doing away with sugar include fewer wrinkles in the long run, and better-looking skin now.

Why? Because sugar ages your skin “faster than a lifetime of lying in the sun”, according to Dr Patricia Farris via DailyMail, where she also describes sugar as “the new nicotine.”

The accelerated ageing occurs when our bodies break down glucose from sugar and refined carbohydrates. On the contrary, quitting sugar renders collagen and elastin more supple and resilient.

Reduce Acne

Acne and breakouts are directly caused by a hormonal imbalance or surge. Food that is high in sugar causes this hormonal reaction in the body. The body absorbs the sugar rapidly, which leads to the release of insulin for regulation of that sugar.

Insulin will most likely inform the body to store access sugar as fat; this is the reason reducing sugar consumption is essential for torching weight. In general, the activation of insulin gets the body in the mood to store fat.

As far as skin is concerned, though, glycemic foods and sugar activate hormones that stimulate the production of oil, which in turn proliferates skin cells that block and clog pores.

Along with medications, a low glycemic index diet is now recommended by many dermatologists as an effective treatment for acne.

Controlling Psoriasis

Psoriasis refers to a chronic skin disease that shows up through red, scaly and often itchy blotches of skin, according to www.skinsmatter.com. It can affect the scalp, elbows and knees. In extreme cases, it can affect the whole body. While both non-life threatening and incurable, the condition can be treated with a low sugar or ‘anti-fungal diet’.

Wanna replace that first cup of coffee or tea with sugar with something just as yummy, but with fewer health risks? Take a look at 7 Smoothie Ingredients for Weight Loss

Continue Reading

Diet

Going Vegan? 5 Things To Expect!

If you are thinking about ditching meat and other animal-based foods and products for a plant-based diet, these are the radical changes you should anticipate

Published

on

The number of people who are going vegan is growing, and the ease of transitioning to one is scaling along with this trend.

And as far as establishments are concerned, vegan options are being availed more readily. You can grab a raw vegan cheesecake at many cafes and restaurants in major cities now.

Moreover, efforts by brands like Woolies to cater for – and promote – a range of plant-based alternatives is a tell-tale sign of the shifting cultural landscape.

I happen to be acquainted with a few people who’ve now opted to completely exclude animal products from their diets, and a few others are at least toying around with the idea of reducing their consumption significantly.

As former meat eaters, their experiences couldn’t be more fascinating.

There’s the social aspect of it; the persistent social stigma attached to veganism. After the switch, I’ve been told, you soon find that navigating and negotiating your way around social settings that involve dining is not as smooth as before.

If you are considering the switch, you will benefit from the following list of 10 Things To Expect when you Become Vegan.

Before we delve into your new looming realities and the adjustments to be anticipated, let’s first define what veganism actually is.

VEGANISM DEFINED

The Vegan Society describes veganism asa way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.”

As you can glean from this definition, veganism is a philosophy that rejects the (ill-) treatment of animals as commodities.

Vegans do not eat any kind of meat, dairy products and eggs.  Some vegans do it for ethical reasons, others out of concern for the environment, and still, others are motivated by the health benefits associated with the dietary lifestyle.

Now that we’ve cleared the air, here’s what awaits you on the greener pastures!

SOCIAL STIGMA

A timely glimpse of the existing stigma surrounding veganism found a platform on the Real Housewives of Johannesburg, where Mercy encountered various social humps as she navigated life as an instrumental black vegan. The girls weren’t really being sports about it, to put it mildly.

In one case, she had to get rid of scrummy vegan meals she’d ordered after almost none of the ladies showed up to her vegan themed intimate shindig. The health and wellness advocate, who has shared her journey to weight loss through a plant-based lifestyle, often found herself being a subject of much teasing from the girls.

And while a lot of it was garnished with the typical dose of heightened television drama, attitudes towards vegans are generally negative.

A recent study indicates that those who opt for ‘clean eating’, in general, stand to lose a few points on the likeability scale.

“People get on the defensive the second you tell them you are vegan”, a vegan friend told me as he detailed his own experiences as a black vegan.

RELATED: AVOID THE 5 FOODS TO ACHIEVED DEFINED ABS

After two years leading a plant-based life, he has clocked in the hours as both a proud vegan and as somewhat of an expert on the social awkwardness that greets those who eschew meat.

“People’s reactions are always so interesting. They look at you like, ‘Okay…’, you are judging me. Snob.'”

Expect that your departure from the hegemonic hooks of meat eating will come with a lot of coming out, and explaining, and defending, and being ridiculed, and sometimes, being avoided.

THE WAY YOU COOK WILL CHANGE

Besides foregoing all animal-based foods, products and derivatives in your kitchen, the way you prepare food will have to change. Most new vegans often find that the absence of meat, dairy and eggs means they have to get extra creative with how they prepare food. You’ve got raw veggies, fruits and nuts to keep your meals appetising and vibrant.

As such, steaming all the veggies won’t cut it anymore. They are now the dish. Think about it.

YOU WILL CRAVE CERTAIN THINGS

The first 30 transitional days of going vegan (or going anything, really), will be the most challenging. After that things get easier and easier as your taste buds adjust to your new eating habits and your general lifestyle has transformed to promote consistency.

RELATED: 10 SUPERFOODS FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND IMPROVED HEALTH

But, as with all drastic lifestyle changes, you will fantasise and crave certain things from time to time, and it’s okay. Vegan diets are highly restrictive, which makes them challenging to sustain, especially at first.

YOUR SKIN WILL POP

Amongst the many benefits of whole foods is the effect it can have on your skin. Many vegans report remarkably improved skin complexion, tone and texture within days of taking up the diet.

That’s unsurprising.

The exclusion of processed foods, dairy and red meats render vegan diets high in fibre and low in saturated fats than the average diet. This, according to Greatist.com, makes way for an enhanced function of insulin and glucagon production, which control your sugar metabolism. The imbalance of insulin can lead to clogged pores, which causes acne.

RELATED: SMOOTHIES FOR WEIGHT LOSS – 7 BEST INGREDIENTS

YOUR ENERGY LEVELS WILL SHOOT UP

There’s word on the vegan streets, amongst vegans, that your levels sky rocket in the beginning. This surge, according to a vegan friend I consulted with for subjective feedback on this, is quite exciting. “You feel like taking on the world”, he said. According to research, however, there isn’t a direct link to sustained levels of energy and veganism.

According to Elite Daily, a vegan diet doesnt automatically make you healthier. Yes, the fruits and vegetables are more nutritious and low in saturated fats, but quantities, combinations and quality still matter.

Continue Reading

Music2 weeks ago

Emtee Wants Out

Music2 weeks ago

Rihanna Becomes The Wealthiest Female Artist

Isipho
TV2 weeks ago

What You Need To Know About e.tv’s New Drama – ‘Isipho’

Music2 weeks ago

What Bushfire Festival 2019 Was Really Like – VIDEO REVIEW

Cassper Nyovest Move For Me
Music3 weeks ago

Cassper Nyovest Premieres Sexy ‘Move For Me’ Visuals

Fitness3 weeks ago

Kabelo Mabalane Launches Wellness and Health Retail Store

Bonang Matheba wins the Inspiration and Influence award at the Global Social Awards
Celebrity3 weeks ago

WATCH: Bonang Bags ‘Inspiration and Influence’ Award in Prague

Solange has been confirmed as one of the headliners for Afropunk 2019 JHB
Music3 weeks ago

Solange, Miguel, Masego and More To Headline Afropunk Joburg 2019

Music3 weeks ago

Asa Kicks Off SA Tour at The Bassline & Bushfire Festivals

News3 weeks ago

The Chicken Lickin’ Advert Shaking The Table

Events3 weeks ago

Bushfire 2019 in Pictures – A Colourful Experience

Bushfire Festival 2019 survival guide, Everything you need to know about Bushfire, Bushfire rules, bringing alcohol to Bushfire
Events4 weeks ago

MTN Bushfire Festival 2019 Ultimate Survival Guide

TKZee to be honoured at the SAMAs
Awards4 weeks ago

TKZee, HHP and Mango Groove To Be Honoured at the SAMAs!

News4 weeks ago

Puma and Diamond Supply Co Return With A Skate Inspired Collection

Music4 weeks ago

Apple Music To Celebrate African Legends on Africa Day

Music4 weeks ago

The Annual Collins Chabane Cultural Festival Returns

PUMA INHALE DROPS IN SOUTH AFRICA
Sneakers4 weeks ago

Puma Drops The Original Inhale

Anatii - Wena music video
Music4 weeks ago

Anatii’s Romantic Wena Video Is Here

Khaya Mkangisa
Celebrity1 month ago

khanya Mkangisa Busted For Drinking and Driving!

DJLagxShekhinah for adidas Nite Jogger

Babes Wodumo and Mampintsha
Music2 months ago

Fans Furious As Mampintsha’s New Song Features Babes Wodumo

Music2 months ago

Nadia Nakai Confirms New Album – What We Know

Music2 months ago

Tiwa Savage Inks Deal With Universal Music!

Events2 months ago

Celebrity2 months ago

Thuso Mbedu Scores Leading Role In American Series

Zahara
Music2 months ago

Inside Zahara’s 5 Months Of Sobriety

News2 months ago

Esprit Launches in South Africa!

Nasty C, Tellaman, Rowlene for Lift As You Rise
Music2 months ago

Nasty C Opens The Industry With ‘Lift As You Rise’

adidas nite jogger

adidas Consortium Partners With ShelfLife

DJ Sbu at Nipsey Hussle's memorial
Celebrity3 months ago

Everyone’s Talking about DJ Sbu’s Nipsey Hussle Speech

Post Malone
Music3 months ago

Post Malone Is Headed To South Africa!

E Entertainment Kat Sinavasan

South African celebrity couples
News1 year ago

These 11 South African Celebrity Couples Are Every Romantic Goal

Celebrity4 years ago

Mzansi Celebrity Nudes For A Cause: The Marie Claire Naked Issue 2015 is Out

Hair2 years ago

10 Fresh Celeb HairCuts (And Their Names) For Your Festive Look!

Celebrity3 years ago

9 Big Brother Mzansi Break Out Stars: Where Are They Now?

idols sa season 5 auditions
TV5 months ago

Idols SA Season 15 Auditions Kick Off In Pretoria

Fashion10 months ago

Tino Chinyani Wears The Best Pants In The Business – Proof in Pics!

TV2 years ago

Yvonne Left At The Alter: Scandal! Nuptials End In Tears

Hair10 months ago

Hair: We Caught Up With Legends Barber Founder Sheldon Tatchell

Hair10 months ago

Hair: What Legends Barber is All About

Harmony Katulondi Top Billing
Interviews10 months ago

Top Billing: Harmony Katulondi Joins The Presenter Family

Celebrity2 years ago

The 10 South African Celeb Couples Who Melted Our Hearts In 2016!

Hair10 months ago

Hair: One Barber Spills All About Legends Barber

Hair3 years ago

5 Banging Celeb Hairstyles To Steal For Your Festive Look!

Boity Wuzdat
Celebrity10 months ago

Boity Has Her Eyes Set On Dropping Some Music

Hair10 months ago

Hair: A Customer’s Experience At Legends Barber

Morny Ryle Top Billing
Interviews10 months ago

Getting To Know Top Billing’s New Presenter – Ryle De Morny

Fashion8 months ago

Nomzamo Mbatha Oozes Swag In New PUMA Defy Luxe

News1 year ago

The Wait Is Over – It’s Now Hours To The Black Panther Premiere!

Hair10 months ago

Hair: Should You Get Your Touched At Legends Barber?

Kat La Kat
Interviews10 months ago

Deep House Ace Kat La Kat Is Not Chasing The Wave – Interview

Music2 years ago

Donald’s Red Mic Xperience Live DVD The Perfect Early Valentines Gift

Punk Mbedzi
Interviews10 months ago

5 Minutes With House Music Dab hands Punk Mbedzi

Khaya Dladla
Interviews8 months ago

Khaya Dladla Gets On The Hunt For His Biggest Fan!

Select Sessions Sir LSG
Interviews10 months ago

Sir LSG: Perfection Matters – Not So Much The Accolades – Interview

Adidas POD
Fashion8 months ago

Yannick Ilunga and Rochelle ‘RhaRha’ Back At It For Adidas

Events3 years ago

Who Had The Last Laugh: Recap Of The Savanna Comics Choice Awards

Celebrity3 years ago

8 Looks You Have To See From The YOUSpectacular Awards!

Celebrity4 years ago

(PHOTOS) Vixen Unleashed! Namhla’s Hot Lingerie Behind The Scenes Snaps

Gert Johan Coetzee Autumn 2019
Fashion8 months ago

Inside Gert-Johan Coetzee’s ‘Recession Proof’ Ready To Wear Autumn ’19 Collection

Khanya Mkangisa
Celebrity7 months ago

Khanya Mkangisa and Nick Soul To Dish Showbiz Tips At Looming PUMA Shindig

best-dressed-female-celebs-sa
Fashion2 years ago

2016’s Top 10 Best Dressed South African Celebrities: Female Edition

Nasty C in PUMA Breaker Hi Blocked
Fashion9 months ago

Nasty C Rocking The Latest PUMA Drop

Adidas Statement collection South Africa
Fashion7 months ago

A Capsule To Support Women Through Their Workouts Is Here

Fashion8 months ago

Adidas Introduces ‘Never Made’

Celebrity3 years ago

Fat Cheques! The 10 Highest Earning South African Celebrities in 2016

Ntokozo Mastermind Dlamini Exclusive interview
Interviews4 years ago

INTERVIEW: Touching Base With Rising Uzalo Star Ntokozo TK Dlamini

Nasty C in PUMA RS-X Trophies 01_lo
Fashion5 months ago

Nasty C Rocks In PUMA RS-X Trophies

TV10 months ago

18 Best South African TV Shows in 2018 (So Far)!

Real Housewives of Johannesburg

Fashion5 months ago

adidas Originals Introduces the Nite Jogger Sneaker

Features4 years ago

SIX Tricks To Grow A Killer Afro That Actually Work! Part ONE

Real Housewives of Johannesburg Recap, Evodia and Christy fight
TV10 months ago

Real Housewives of Johannesburg: Evodia and Christall Screaming Match!

Fashion2 years ago

2016’s Top 10 Best Dressed South African Celebrities: Male Edition

Enhle Gambushe
News9 months ago

Tributes Pour in For Enhle Gambushe

Shane Eagle Never Grow Up Album Review
Music5 months ago

Shane Eagle – Never Grow Up Album Review

Isibaya traditional wedding Sibongiseni Mkhize, Mpiyakhe Zungu
News5 months ago

Isibaya: The Traditional Zulu Wedding Everyone is Talking About (PHOTOS)

Sho Madjozi

Music5 months ago

Emtee Is Really Frustrated Right Now

Riky Rick Cotton Festival
Events5 months ago

Riky Rick Has Curated The First Ever Annual Cotton Fest

Health4 years ago

Desire For A Mandingo; Do Them Penis Enlargements Actually Work?

Boity

Fill Up Moses Mabhida internship
Music7 months ago

Internship Applications for Cassper’s Fill Up Moses Mabhida – Details

Fashion9 months ago

Adidas Captures The Spirit of Prophere

Events8 months ago

“It’s An Exciting Time To Be African” – Sho Madjozi On Her Looming One Source Live Show

TV1 year ago

Idols SA S14 Auditions: Hopefuls Go For Their Dreams At Carnival City

Celebrity4 years ago

Cassper Nyovest & Amanda Du Pont: Trouble in Paradise?

Music7 months ago

Nasty C, AKA, Shekhinah On Spotify’s Most Streamed SA Artists

Music7 months ago

Swizz Beatz Has Been Confirmed For Black Coffee’s ‘Music Is King’ Concert

Imbewu: The Seed
TV1 year ago

The Lowdown on eTV’s New Daily Drama ‘Imbewu: The Seed’

Wizkid Moschino Ciroc
Fashion9 months ago

Wizkid, Cassper & Thando Thabethe Rock Moschino Runway in Milan!

Naledi Real Housewives of Johannesburg